Monday 15 August 2022

Joining the Bordered Straw brigade

 


It's modest compared with other recent arrivals here, but my more-or-less annual Bordered Straw came calling last night, just when my mind was on immigrants and adventists because a friend on holiday in France had sent me the top photo below with a request for an ID. Yes, she has unjustified faith in my powers in that direction. 

I did manage to tell her what this one was though, the mighty Palm Moth, and it got me wondering whether examples might reach us before much longer on the warm winds from mainland Europe, rather than in consignments of palms. Out of interest, I looked it up in the Moth Bible index and rediscovered the marvellous illustration by Richard Lewington which somehow hadn't registered with me before.  I know it's a pest but it's a very fine-looking one.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.