Wednesday 24 August 2022

L-album Wainscot

A lovely surprise in my Chilterns garden moth trap last night, L-album Wainscot Mythimna l-album.  Only the second record for Bucks (VC24), confirmed by Dave Wilton & Martin Albertini.  

I've only seen this moth once before on St. Marys, Isles of Scilly in 2005.  



I don't know if this was an immigrant, or if it is dispersal from its established UK populations further south and east (Dave Wilton, pers. comm.)

Other probable migrants in the trap last night were 2 Rush Veneer Nomophila noctuella.   Others more likely to be resident rather than immigrants(?): 4 White-point Mythimna albipuncta, 3 European Corn-borer Ostrinia nubilalis and 1 Silver Y Autographa gamma.  

Finally, I had one Centre-barred Sallow Atethmia centrago, which for me is the herald of Autumn!

Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash (VC24)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.