Saturday 11 April 2020

21 species in Chorleywood.

With everybody in stay-at-home mode right now there's every chance lots of garden records will be broken this year.
There were 21 species in my trap last night, including nice examples of Frosted Green, Brindled Beauty, Purple Thorn, Least Black Arches, Oak Nycteoline and Streamer.
Chestnuts are still hanging on, I see.
Two micros turned up, one a rather striking version of Acleris cristana, (I don't know the name of this one, but apparently there are around 130 named forms of this species - the most variable moth of all British moths.)
The other micro I have not yet identified. At first glance I thought of Leek Moth, which would have been new for the garden, - but now I don't think so. 
One new-for-the-garden did turn up earlier this week, but not at a light: I found the larval/pupal case of a Taleporia tubulosa on a Hornbeam trunk. After searching for them in nearby Philipshill Wood (on Beech trees), I'm pretty sure they are last year's models - for something made out of silk and algae they are surprisingly tough. 
(This is an old pic from last year). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.