Thursday 16 April 2020

Unidentified caterpillar

I thought with the new caterpillar book sitting on my shelf I would identify a caterpillar as seemingly obvious as the one above. It was descending on a  string from my Pear tree here in Longwick.

Sadly I cant find it - maybe its an early instar or a big micro?  More likely I'm not great at caterpillars! The second photo is a bit of a "Where's Wally" showing just how camouflaged it was if it hadn't been in mid air when I found it!

Trapped last night for the first night in a while and other than my second Lesser Swallow

Prominent of the year there wasn't much to shout about. I would however love Dave's Blossom Underwing which I have never seen here!

Any caterpillar thoughts welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,
    I'm afraid I can't place the caterpillar. Do you have any other pictures of it, or an indication of its length? Assuming it is actually lepidopteran, it does look quite distinctive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't be certain, but Green-brindled Crescent can look like that. See the 7th photo in the sequence at:
    http://www.pyrgus.de/Allophyes_oxyacanthae_en.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martin you are spot on. If the field guide had a view from above showing the "cross braces" I would probably have spotted it but from the side I completely missed it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.