Sunday 12 April 2020

Mursley mothing again!

I realised that now I'm exiled in N. Bucks away from my usual Chilterns escape I no longer have an excuse. I dusted off my home-made moth trap (stupidly, the better one is down at Dancersend reserve) and had a go. I felt very rusty identifying a handful of macros and just one micro (Epiphyas postvittana) this morning, but stuck on this one. I dropped the egg box just after taking the photograph so didn't get chance to check size and examine more carefully. Could it be a Dotted Chestnut ... or is it just a well marked Small Quaker?
Mick Jones

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mick, that is a Dotted Chestnut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mick,
    Welcome back - as you say, there are no excuses when you are limited to your garden and many people are finding mothing quite therapeutic in these strange times!
    Dotted Chestnut has expanded its range considerably over the last ten years or so and we'd now expect it to turn up just about anywhere in Bucks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.