Saturday 25 April 2020

A hoplodrina hiding among the orthosias or something else?

The catches haven't been that great in numbers terms despite the warm days here in Longwick. However Shuttle Shaped Darts have started to appear and I had my first Bee Moth yesterday. I had three chocolate tips today which is rather more than usual. I assumed this was a Hoplodrina and therefore must be Vines Rustic given the time of year? I am aware there are several confusion species and I haven't seen one in a good while and the wing tips  looked wrong?

3 comments:

  1. The wing tips of Vine's can show a rather angled shape - see e.g. the main illustration in Chris Lewis's website: https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/099-hoplodrina-ambigua-vines-rustic.html# - as well as the straight costa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew,
    That looks good for Vine's Rustic to me. If you have a look at the selection of pictures on the Norfolk Moths website you'll find one or two which are a good match for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both - reassuring!I had a more "normal" looking one today!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.