Friday 10 April 2020

Back from the Wilderness!

For the last few years I've more or less "phased" or whatever the mothing equivalent of this birding term for giving up is. However the present lockdown has encouraged me to dust off the moth trap and have a go again. I've soon been reminded why I gave up: my urban garden just doesn't get very much compared to other locations. So far in three trappings I've had a few each of Early Grey, Common Quaker, Hebrew Character, Double-striped Pug, along with one Brindled Beauty and one a Twenty-plume. I did get one other Pug which I'd overlooked initially. To be honest I was never much good at Pugs in the first place and what little I knew then I've now forgotten but when going through my photos I think it might be a candidate for Oak Tree Pug rather than Brindled as it has a wide prominent discal spot with a pale area beyond it. Unfortunately I didn't measure it. Some expert thoughts on it would be much appreciated.

Adam Hartley, central Oxford

Possible Oak Tree Pug?


1 comment:

  1. Hello Adam,
    Welcome back to the fold! I'm not 100% confident on the ID of your Pug but it does look to be closer to Oak-tree than Brindled.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.