Sunday 26 April 2020

Busy hawk and sleepy Emperor


My first hawk moth for the year came last night, the earliest I've had since starting my MV light trap here in 2013. All have been Poplars and the one in 2017 looked, like this one, as though it had already led a busy life. My previous debuts were:

2013:  22 May
2014: 2 May
2015: 1 May
2016: 12 May
2017: 6 May
2018: 7 May
2019: 10 May

My other interesting experience has been spotting a male Emperor late yesterday afternoon, flying slowly and rather clumsily in the warm sunshine around our Romneya poppy where he settled down. He has been there ever since - sequence of photos below - unmoved by light, dark, the moth trap (about 50 metres away) and a light frost, evidenced by the effect, left, of my early morning mug of tea.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.