Sunday 12 April 2020

Help sought with a Pug please

I have been catching lots of Brindled Pugs and Double-striped Pugs lately which of course I would expect at this time of year. Last night I also caught these two specimens which were significantly smaller (wingspan 17 mm max) than the Brindled Pugs (19 mm+), but appear to have very similar markings. They also rest with their wings in a more swept back position than I am used to seeing with Brindled Pug. To me they resemble Oak-tree Pug which I have had in the past, but UK Moths tells me that the wingspan of the latter is 19mm + - the same as Brindled Pug. Any thoughts pugmeisters?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Alastair,

    That looks good for Oak-tree Pug to me. It is shorter-winged than Brindled, more "colourful" (if that's the right word!) and showing a more pronounced discal spot with that white area beyond it.

    We'll soon have to be very careful with Pugs, though, because other species will be starting to appear quite soon. I had my first Common of the year last night and Mottled, Ochreous & Dwarf could all be on the wing before the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave. That's the reassurance I needed!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.