Wednesday 22 April 2020

Pale male Muslins



Emperors apart, my main interest at the moment is Muslin moths and specifically a pale version of the male which is coming to my MV trap regularly  Above are the two 'forms', both from on top and frontal views showing how differently-coloured the Sixties hair-do is (mind you, many of us are reverting to this during the lockdown) and how the yellow breeches are paler too.  I Googled 'pale Muslin moths' and came up with this link which suggests that the 'Irish' form may be more widespread. Is there anything in this, do you think?  Meanwhile, I was anonymously left a third batch of what look like Emperor eggs on the wall near the trap last night. My female is still sitting placidly in the shed, free to go at any time but apparently content.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon


2 comments:

  1. Very interesting male Muslin Moths, Martin. I've seen pictures this season of some lighter ones like your example but certainly not had any myself yet (but then again I've only seen five so far this year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave - and sorry for the delay. There's just SO much gardening to do while the sunny days last. Sorry you don't share the Muskin abundance in Westcott which is otherwise such a moth mecca. They're still very frequent here with more pale ones, though the one shown here is the palest yet, specially in its hair. All warmest as ever M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.