Monday 13 April 2020

New moth trap

Hi, I'm new to this blog and am enjoying the contributions people have posted. The current situation has finally encouraged me into constructing a moth trap! I've had all the bits ready in the shed for a while, so I've been really pleased to get it up and running. It's been out 5 nights so far and trapped 60 moths of 16 species. Highlights so far have been Chocolate tip, Nut-tree Tussock and Herald; a moth I've always wanted to see.

Andrew Cornick, West Oxfordshire SU2685






 



3 comments:

  1. Welcome, Andrew. I've been running a trap for not quite two years (of which only the last year has been regular), and I can see that you've already caught three species that I've not seen so far! That's part of what makes this such an interesting hobby: new things keep turning up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andrew,
    Welcome to the Blog! Very nice to see a self-built trap. It is not entirely clear from your image whether or not there is any kind of drainage arrangement in the trap base? The glass bowl should protect the bulb very well but rain will still enter the trap and collect at the bottom, potentially drowning some of the moths unless there is somewhere for the water to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,

    No one seems to have mentioned it but of the photos of moths uploaded here there isn't a Nut Tree Tussock? The photo is I believe of an Early Grey? It may be I have misunderstood and you were generally commenting on your catch but just in case thought I would comment!

    Welcome to the blog which I find both very useful and also very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.