Friday 17 April 2020

More imperial news


I had only recently been reading the interesting posts here about Emperor moths, when I went to put a spade away in our shed and discovered a furiously fluttering male Emperor. I then remembered that I might have had a few cocoons left over, after distributing lots of others during a breeding saga which began with the arrival of a magnificent female in my MV trap in May 2014.  Sure enough, I found a box with a tangle of old plant debris and, more excitingly, a pristine female sitting on its edge.  I can't resist a go at assembling later today; so maybe Thrupp's imperial story, like Downton Abbey, will go on and on.

Incidentally, my submission to iRecord bore out Dave's interesting recent comment about their problems with moth data. I got an auto-reply noting that I am more than 10km outside the species' known range. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.