Tuesday 19 May 2020

Dig those lures out of the freezer

I've been running the FOR, TIP and VES clearwing lures in the garden here since 2pm today and at 4.45pm a Red-tipped Clearwing turned up to the trap using the FOR lure.  I had one on 22nd May last year so this is only three days earlier. 

Pheromone trap, Westcott 19th May

Red-tipped Clearwing, Westcott 19th May

I make no apologies for the "in-trap" image above because I think the underside of Red-tipped is more impressive than the upper side, especially when fresh as this one is.

If you have them, it is probably worth running any of the clearwing lures during this warm spell because so little is known for sure about their distribution or flight times.  In 2018 there was a record of Red-tipped in Bucks in mid-September so it would seem they can go on well beyond the accepted flight periods, so why not earlier as well?

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, have you got one lure in the lid and another sitting inside the bottom of the trap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    I tend to refresh my lures every three or four years (probably more often than I really need to - they seem to last for ever!) but I don't throw away the older ones. The most recent lure goes where it should, in the container at the top of the trap, while any older ones and the small plastic box in which they are stored in the freezer all go in the bottom of the trap.

    It does concern me a little bit that these moths are so small that they might not necessarily be tempted right into the trap, so the older lures at the bottom are an added temptation to try and ensure they do go in rather than just hovering around the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my lures out daily for Red-belted and Currant for last two weeks + but no action here yet. Never had Red-tipped here, and no food plant in immediate vicinity so hadn't even thought to bother with that but will try for Orange-tailed as well now. Good to know there is some action :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.