Sunday 17 May 2020

Wood Tiger?

Had a  first post-lockdown trip to Seven Barrows BBOWT reserve  (SU 329828) and saw Mother Shipton, Green Carpet and what I think was Wood Tiger. I only managed one poor photo before it flew off and I lost it.

Also saw plenty of butterflies; 25+ Small Heaths, 2 common  blues, 1 small blue, 4 dingy skippers and 2 Brimstones. But the star of the morning was 8 Marsh Fritillaries!! It’s been a long while since I’ve seen one here, so this was a great result.  Andrew Cornick - West Oxfordshire.



4 comments:

  1. Yes that's a Wood Tiger. Congrats on the Marsh Fritillary, I saw them there back in the 80s and they apparently died out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I last saw one there in 2006 and the died out not long after (I thought). Has there been a reintroduction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the Wiltshire butterfly recorder they are having an exceptional year. Large numbers at regular sites and lots of wanderers including in gardens! Yesterday I saw two at bishopstone and two at NT Hinton Parva Coombe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind the butterfly, that's a great record of Wood Tiger! The first at Seven Barrows since 2009, and the first anywhere in Berkshire since 2014.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.