Saturday 9 May 2020

Ephemera lineata?

Whilst reading yesterday's post on the spotty Muslin with a bycatch Ephemera danica, Martin Harvey's comment about the possibility of Ephemera lineata coming to light rang some bells.

I recalled catching what I had put down as a 'May Fly' some years ago and knew I had taken some photos, so searched for them, both added below.

I know very little about these things, but looking at the date the picture was taken, 19 July 2009, I guess the look and date and being just over 2 miles from the Thames as the crow flies, make Ephemera lineata a possibility.

What do you think Martin?



By the way, I'm not a fan of the current frequent bycatch of Cockchafer and don't enjoy trapping at this time of year because of them. They are quite numerous here, up to 20 a night, and being quite clumsy, I am often hit by them while watching the trap and once inside they take a while to settle, so cause quite a bit of disturbance.

Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, that looks like Ephemera lineata to me - excellent! If you use iRecord you can add the photo and record details there and they will be picked up by the national recording scheme, or contact the scheme direct:
    info@ephemeroptera.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is lineata.
    Over the years I've seen quite a few in the area between Marlow and Henley just North of the Thames.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.