Saturday 9 May 2020

Slightly warming up

The last couple of nights in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, have been a little more productive than the recent fairly slow weeks. It's been nice to have Pale Tussock show up, and a couple of Lime Hawkmoths last night, and the first carpets of the year (including May Highflyer, which at least knows the right time of year to manifest itself).

There has been a slight uptick in numbers of micros, of which a few are below: I'm thinking Agonopterix yeatiana; possibly Euzophera cinerosella, of which what I swear was the same individual (judging by photos) came along the last two nights; and possibly something from the Grapholita range, the sort which are on pp.248-49 of the micro Bible - maybe Grapholita funebrana?

Then a couple of potentially tricky macros: what I was thinking of as Oak-tree Pug, but I'm now not so sure; and, I think, a standard Red Twin-spot Carpet, but is there a case for Dark-barred? All suggestions/confirmations/corrections welcome.

Steve Goddard

Possible Agonopterix yeatiana, 7/5/20, 

Possible Euzophera cinerosella, 7/5/20, 9-10mm

Possibly a Grapholita funebrana, 8/5/20, c.8mm

Possible Oak-tree Pug, 7/5/20, forewing c.9mm

Presumed Red Twin-spot Carpet, 8/5/20

3 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    I'd say your micros were Agonopterix arenella, Ephestia woodiella (needs the chop to be sure) & Dichrorampha acuminatana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No disagreement with Dave there and agree with Oak-tree Pug and Red Twin-spot Carpet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much, both -- the Dichrorampha is nearly a personal landmark as first species logged from my new garden which I didn't get in my old. But only nearly: I have got 'Dichrorampha sp.' on the old garden list, so it *could* be the same species as previously.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.