Sunday 31 May 2020

Marlow Bottom weekend

An interesting couple of days trapping at Marlow Bottom. I'm sure everyone has moths that are supposedly common and should turn up in your garden based on habitat, but inextricably don't.  Two of these for me gave themselves up: Scalloped Hook-tip and Apotomis turbidana. I get loads of A. betuletana and have lots of birch, so never understood it.



I have not been getting much variety or depth in macros recently, though Bird's Wing last night is always nice to see, but have been getting a few micros e.g. Prays ruficeps, Argyresthia spinosella, curvella, retinella, trifasciata and pruniella. One of the most interesting was when I was going through the trap this morning, three small black micros began flying around a nearby fence post. I potted one and it was the bagworm, Narycia duplicella, a new one for me.


Another new one for, that took a while to identify was Luquetia lobella.



I also had an example of the dark winged Pandemis cerasana similar to the one Alistair Driver posted recently.

Finally, I don't want to make this post too long, but I have a couple of micros for comment. The first is a Caloptilia sp, which looked fine last night but has not lasted - the photos reflect this:



And a Pseudatemelia sp. It is over 11mm in length and I wondered if it was too large and too early for josephinae, which is the species I have recorded many times - I have kept it for Peter.


Adam Bassett

3 comments:

  1. Well worth keeping the Agnoea as that's likely to be flavifrontella this early in the season. Is the previous one not a worn Aspilapteryx tringipennella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, A. tringipennella makes sense - I wasn't thinking of a worn specimen, but that row of dots on the wing fits.

      Delete
    2. I also hadn't realised that Pseudatemelia had changed to Agnoea - always learning.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.