Wednesday 19 August 2020

This week in Chorleywood.

 Jersey Tigers are old hat, now, with everybody catching them. However, the three that have arrived this week were all form lutescens, which is to say the hindwings are yellow, instead of orange.

When I ran the lights in my back garden on the 16th August I was impressed by how small quite a few of the examples of several species were, eg Tree-lichen Beauty and Cydalima perspectalis.
Species notably lower in numbers compared to the 7th August included Dun-bar, Yellow Shell, Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, Holly Tortrix, Mother of Pearl, Brimstone, Endotricha flammealis and Cydalima perspectalis. 
For the second time in a row I took a single Water Veneer, a species I associate with large numbers whenever it does appear.
Tachystola acroxantha continues to turn up, all the way through from May.
When I cut open a wind-fall apple this fat little caterpillar hopped out:

Codling Moth, aka Cydia pomonella. Interestingly, I also caught the adult at the lights this week. Within 24 hours it was attempting spin a cocoon in which to hibernate, which apparently they do as larvae, not pupae.

1 comment:

  1. Elsewhere in Chorleywood I had 2 Jersey Tigers in July, both lutescens, whilst in August so far 29 of the nominal form and 16 lutescens. Definitely more numerous here than in previous years.

    Richard Ellis
    Chorleywood

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.