Thursday 6 August 2020

Floundering

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for help in sorting me out over these. I gaily went for Straw Underwings but a friend on my own blog suggests that they include Flounced Rustics and Dave's timely post here yesterday suggests that he is right.  Indeed, I am sure that one on my granddaughter's finger is and FL and I suspect the ones top left and bottom right in the composite pic. Sorry!  I have looked at them until brown whorls and black dashes spin before my eyes and I remember this happening last year. What I really want is a Silver-striped Hawk moth.  PS Has anyone else found that the new Blogger is giving them the biggest picture size by default? Doesn't take long to adjust, but slightly annoying. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp


3 comments:

  1. We'll see when Dave adjudicates and we'll see how far out I am! Top left Straw Underwing all the rest Flounced Rustic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin, for me the top left and bottom right are FR (with the latter being more typical if there is such a thing), while the top right and bottom left are SU (especially from the bright pale inner edge to the outer crossband and the outer edge with dark inward-pointing arrowheads - although having said that there are SUs where these features are less prominent, but then there is always the colour of the underwing!). Also the top right and bottom left moths are more thickset, like FR. You mentioned picture size - but for me clicking on your pictures does not increase their size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking at the hindwings would help a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.