Monday 24 August 2020

Dark Sword-grass and Indian Meal Moth?

 Bit of an odd combination.
I think the first one is my first Dark Sword-grass for several years. Bit worn but I think I see the sword.

The other I think is an Indian Meal moth, Plodia interpunctella which turned up in the house. As you can probably see it's already been in the freezer so if it cannot be ID'd 100% from the photo it can be checked. Not sure though that there is anything else like it.

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.


4 comments:

  1. Both are correct, Mark. Not good finding interpunctella indoors - time to check any stored cereal products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, we have had I think now 3 species of clothes moth, the case bearing one causing problems. That I can sort of understand, we have a lot of stuff and it's a fairly dark old cottage. The Indian Meal moth is more of a puzzle, the kitchen is my wife's domain and there isn't much cereal products that hang around for more than a couple of weeks and it's not left open. I thought maybe it was my porridge oats but it wasn't that. Investigations continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark they eat more than just "cereal products". I once bought a packet of dried hot chillies that had been colonised. I reared several moths. I've also seen them flying around a deli and at this time of year there's no reason why some wouldn't be outdoors, so you don't necessarily have to have an infestation. But if you keep catching them ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks. I bought one of the pheromone traps and I went through the nuts yesterday, I thought they might be there but no. As you say, it might have come from outside.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.