Sunday 11 July 2021

A few puzzles

Catches remain quite low in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire; but the yearlist is gradually building up (to the extent that I've fallen somewhat behind on my record-keeping!), with a fair few newcomers to the garden list showing up (perhaps the most spectacular a Pine Hawkmoth - actually a lifer for me - on 1st July) - we haven't yet been in this house for two years, so newcomers are relatively easy to come  by. As ever, a few individuals which have me foxed, and with which any help would be appreciated. The first looks to me as though it could be a Large Nutmeg, but I can't be certain (I'm fairly certain it's not simply a Dark Arches...); the second looks as though it could be a rather faded Pammene fasciana, but there may be another obvious micro species I'm missing. The third and fourth are both macros I can't pin down (the first, especially, looks as though even though rather faded, it should be obvious, but I've so far drawn a blank); and the fifth likewise is a micro which looks as though it should be evident, but isn't - at least, not to me. As I say - very grateful for any suggestions!

Possible Large Nutmeg, 29/6/21

Possible faded Pammene fasciana, 29/6/21

Unknown macro, 9/7/21

Unknown macro, 1/7/21

Unknown micro, 27/6/21
Steve Goddard

3 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    I'd go along with your Large Nutmeg. The two images below it are both micros, the first probably something like Notocelia trimaculana but rather too far gone to be sure, while the second is Anania perlucidalis. The macro which follows is a Small Square-spot which is well past its sell-by date, while the final moth I suspect is a worn Cnephasia which would need dissection to get to species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Large Nutmeg to MV here in Denham last night. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi both -- thanks for that, Dave: the perlucidalis will be a warning to me never to assume anything based on size of specimen alone; and I'm embarrassed not to have worked out Small Square-spot.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.