Monday 19 July 2021

Oak Nycteoline? and friends

My biggest night of the year so far on Friday with 250 moths of 82 species,(not counting the ones that got away!). I'm pretty sure this is Oak Nycteoline, but the wing shape doesn't look quite right, though FL of 10 mm seems OK, so I just wanted to check.


 
A couple of micros also have me puzzled. The first I think is probably Mezneria mezneriella but I'm not sure whether it can be distinguished from lappella on these photos, so I have retained it just in case.



The next one I am more dubious about. I have it tentatively as Hypochalcia ahenella, but apart from anything else I'm not sure the habitat is correct around here. FL 11 mm. Again I have retained in case dissection is needed.



Confirmation/corrections appreciated as always!

Thanks

Phil T

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,
    Oak Nycteoline is correct. They can sometimes roll their wings up much tighter than that! The next moth (2 images) is actually Mompha ochraceella, while the last one is Homoeosoma sinuella. By the way, if you do happen to get one of that Metzneria pair you mentioned (lappella and metzneriella, both of which are fairly common) it would be worth getting it checked because they are not at all easy to separate visually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, only one out of three! Must try harder!
      Thanks
      Phil

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.