Monday 26 July 2021

Mainly pugs, with apologies

On the macro front, like many others, I've been plagued by pugs here in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire. I'm posting a few below - though first, an individual I absolutely know I've had before, but cannot for the life of my remember, or find, the species:

Unknown (but surely identifiable) macro, 22/7/21

On the pugs - these three all look fairly distinctive: the first, which was small but I didn't manage to measure, is probably a Double-striped; the other two I'm not sure about.

Unknown pug, 22/7/21

Unknown pug, 22/7/21

Unknown pug, 19/7/21

Finally, more in hope than expectation, any thoughts on the individual below - probably too far gone to identify, but one never knows. As ever, many thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Unknown macro, 22/7/21
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, I'll have a go at the Pugs - but also note that the first moth looks like a bit worn but otherwise fairly typical Dingy Shears. The first Pug is probably as you indicate a worn Double-striped from the dark basal area and lack of a discal spot, wavy post-median line, etc. The second is likely to be a Yarrow Pug, from the diffuse discal spot, pale patch near to the apex, etc. - and the third a Slender Pug from the strongly-marked and rather rounded discal spot close to the bottom of the curved 'U' of the median line and the bi-angled post-median line, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, John: kicking myself over the Dingy Shears, a species I've had many a time. Just had a brain-fade on it. The pugs sound very convincing -- Slender Pug would be a new species for this garden, and Yarrow Pug a lifer for me, so I'll be pleased to put those two down accordingly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.