Wednesday 21 July 2021

East Oxford Update 20 July

 Plenty of interest over the past week or so with the increasing warm weather, and regularly topping 40 species to my urban back garden (Actinic Skinner). Mostly expected species, with diversity of micro and macro moths fluctuating a bit out of sync oddly enough - many micros on 19/7, but fewer on 20/7, but hordes of macro diversity! New Macros for the garden have been: Brown-tail Moth (16/7), Dingy Shell (17/7 - below), and among a near record 54 species last night (20/7), Fen Wainscot and Plain Wave. The latter is a species I often wondered about whether I'd overlooked among the hordes of Riband Waves, but this one rarther jumped out at me when I went to check the trap around midnight. Other highlights on 20/7 were the first Tree-lichen Beautys of the year (3), Dusky Thorn (2), Cloaked Minor & White Ermine. Among micros was another new species for the garden, this rather striking Eudemis profundana.




Dingy Shell, East Oxford, 17 July 2021


Fen Wainscot, East Oxford, 20 July 2021


Plain Wave, East Oxford, 20 July 2021










Eudemis profundana, East Oxford, 20 July 2021

2 comments:

  1. That's a very nice selection, Ben, especially the Plain Wave which I wouldn't have considered as a garden species, especially in an urban environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. My ratio of Riband Waves to Plain Waves is currently running at c. 670:1! I've experienced before that the longer a heatwave lasts the more I get out of habitat dispersive moths here in East Oxford. Excitement still mounting for the next couple of nights...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.