Wednesday 14 July 2021

Another couple of micros

As what must be peak season approaches, catches are getting bigger, and a few new-for-year are coming up pretty well every night in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire. Indeed, the occasional lifer also features: last night, I had my first ever Fern in the trap, which was a nice creature to see. I also had a couple of micros which look distinctive but have eluded me: the first, about 9mm long, seems something like Bactra lancealana, but more colourful than I'd expect that to be. The second, shown from the side and from above (I suspect the side view is the 'correct' one) is perhaps 7mm long, and looks as though it should be easy to identify, but has entirely eluded me. As ever, I'd be very grateful for all suggestions.

Unknown micro 1, 13/7/21

Unknown micro 2, 13/7/21

Unknown micro 2, 13/7/21

Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    The first is a Eucosma, possibly conterminana but don't take that as a firm ID. The other moth maybe you should have picked up from here on the blog because it was mentioned earlier this month - it is Anarsia innoxiella, a recently described species which is spreading quite rapidly throughout our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave -- my bad on the Anarsia. I'm slightly relieved to know it isn't something obvious which I'm not spotting in the Bible. Handsome species, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.