Wednesday 14 July 2021

Interesting Noctuid - Longwick, Bucks

 

Apologies for the quality of the above photo but it was poor light and a frisky beast!

I was struck by the bright, fresh variegated pattern of this moth as soon as I saw it in the trap - features that aren't so evident in  the  photograph! (I will try for better after work).

It looks like it could be a Ni Moth? but having never seen one I thought I would share it on the blog.

Overall a good selection last night including Lappet and Broad-barred White which don't appear too often here.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,
    To use that time-honoured phrase, "I see where you are coming from" with Ni Moth, but to me that looks rather more like a worn-out Beautiful Golden Y. A better lit photo may well make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave - I wouldn't have considered Beautiful Golden Y at first but I can see that the only colour ( the brownish panel) does indeed look like it belongs on a Beautiful Golden Y - no more photos I'm afraid as it bolted instantly when I tried to get a better one! Thanks for the advice as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By co-incidence I had a Beautiful Golden Y last night in similar condition, my first in the garden since 2017. It is a rare moth here, whereas I get an abundance of Plain Golden Ys annually (a dozen already this season). Shame not to confirm a Ni Moth, but the Lappet must be some consolation!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.