Friday 9 July 2021

Moth Nights aglow


I expect others will have seen this week's interesting BBC piece online about the growth of our hobby - I hope that isn't too amateur a word for some of the tremendous and much-appreciated experts on this blog. It raised an issue which  has long pre-occupied me: the probable under-estimating of the numbers of moths, because so few people are looking out for them or know what species they are.

This occurred to me the other day when I read Dave amazing description of the vast Far Eastern moth which graced him with a visit. My immediate reaction was: "Well of course it chose Westcott!" And that got me wondering how high our totals both of numbers and species would be if we were all as sedulous and as you are, Dave.  Anyway, a well-deserved treat!

Sorry to diverge just a little from our subject, but I thought it might also be worth noting that we are in peak glowworm season, as looking for these delightful little creatures is almost as good as keep a watch for moths. We first discovered them here last year and have been out the last two nights with satisfying results eg the female photographed with and without flash, above. Does anyone recognise the little creature with her?  The light trap meanwhile continues to be full of variety - some examples below. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon


7 comments:

  1. The Bordered Beauty is not a moth I've ever seen here and I'm at a loss to identify the spotted job next to it. What is it, please!

    Richard Ellis
    Chorleywood

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Spotty" is a Round-winged Muslin, Richard! I was pleased to see Martin's Ethmia dodecea, the other "spotty moth" in the second row. It seems to be spreading far and wide these days and I had three here at Westcott last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bordered Beaurt deserves its name, Richard. The Round-winged Muslin always seems blurred in my photos. Maybe it really is blurrd, a subtle take on the op art, dazzle camouflage used by the Black Arches et al. Thanks for IDing Spotty 2, Dave. It was on my list to ask

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave. I've had Round-winged Muslin before but with smaller spots. Ethmia dodecea has eluded me so far but hopefully spreading this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Martin. The blurring of the spots was probably what threw me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think spotty might be Muslin Footman? - two I constantly get names muddled up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I am sure that you are right, Marc. I get a lot of Muslin Footmen at the moment and they are the ones with the blurry-ness. I was so smitten by the Bordered Beauty that I didn't notice. Sorry!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.