Sunday 18 July 2021

Possible Brown-veined Wainscot

I'm quite looking forward to the next few nights in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, despite the difficulties in sleeping which the high temperatures will no doubt bring, as I would hope they'll produce quite a substantial number of moths. The last several haven't been bad, either, with the garden yearlist expanding quite rapidly: last night, it was especially pleasing to see Chinese Character (below), and White-spotted Pug.

Chinese Character, 17/7/21

As so often, there is one particular mystery, an individual which I wasn't at first able to pin down as a micro or a macro, but which I think I may now have identified as a Brown-veined Wainscot, which would be new to me. It seemed able to assume several resting positions, and was about 12mm long. As ever, I'd be grateful for confirmation of my tentative ID - or other suggestions as to what species it might be. UPDATE: now ID'd by Dave Wilton as a Silky Wainscot - as Brown-veined would have been, a lifer for me.

















Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. That's a Silky Wainscot, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave -- as Brown-veined would have been, that's a lifer for me. I note from Waring and Townsend that the caterpillar is 'omnivorous', and can be made to eat animal fat when reared in captivity. I had no idea that was a thing among moths.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.