Tuesday 1 June 2021

Aston Rowant.

Despite failing to find it or any of the other of the Juniper-feeding Argyresthias in past attempts, I felt inspired by Will Langdon's recent success at Aston Rowant to have another go on Saturday. This turned into a bit of a mini-saga but, to cut a story short, I eventually adjusted my beating technique a bit and achieved success, knocking four Argyresthia arceuthina out of Juniper bushes. It would seem they really don't like to leave their hideouts and will not fly up when you strike the bushes and indeed often won't move from where they've landed. 

I was struck by how tiny they are, even for an Argyresthia. Anyway, this one posed satisfactorily enough for the camera:


By-catch included a Green Carpet and some very small caterpillars:





They are very early-stage Geometers, so I wonder if they might be Juniper Pugs or Juniper Carpets. 

Sweeping some of the open downland produced this Stephensia brunnichana:



Yes, I had to drug this one to keep it still enough for a photo. They look and behave like Nepticulids, zapping around ceaselessly. 

Also, this Tortrix:




I think this is Endothenia oblongana; but it might not be, and I will have to look at it more closely. 

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, Andrew! I had a couple of arceuthina there the other week: https://www.brc.ac.uk/irecord/record-details?occurrence_id=20462052, but conditions were pretty rubbish for tapping them out the Juniper (a very windy day!). Whereabouts on the site did you find them? I'm hoping to get back there in the next few days, hoping praecocella might be lurking there too, and then later in the year a couple of the other species (the full set bar praecocella has been recorded there in the past).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.