Wednesday 30 June 2021

Not what I was expecting to TIP pheromone

I put out the TIP pheromone a couple of days ago in my garden, hoping for Currant Clearwing. 
 
By accident I left the trap out overnight and the next day there were 4 Hart's-tongue Smut Psychoides verhuella inside. I'm not sure if it has been recorded to the TIP lure before, but I saw on FB that someone had had it to the API lure (Facebook: Moth Pheromone Trap Records, if you are on there).
 
The other Psychoides species, the Fern Smut P. filicivora has been recorded to TIP.   
 
If you have either of theses lures, it might be worth trying overnight if you have Hart's-tongue Asplenium scolopendrium close by as I have.
 
I have recorded both Psychoides species once or twice previously in the garden.
 
 
Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash, VC24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.