Monday 21 June 2021

Gradual progress

Work commitments have meant I've fallen behind in getting my records done for my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, despite the lack of 'big' nights compared to most years. May was grim, but the last several weeks of June have seen some recovery, and I think the species tally for the year is now well over 100. There have been some nice moths, too: this garden, to which I'm a relative newcomer, is surprisingly good for Small Elephant Hawkmoth, with a catch of thirteen on 16th June. I've had at least one personal lifer, assuming the below is a Shoulder-striped Wainscot; putative Light Brocade and Freyer's Pug are nice records for me, too.

Shoulder-striped Wainscot (?), 14/6/21

Light Brocade (?), 16/6/21

Freyer's Pug (?), 16/6/21.

As could be predicted, a few micros have given me some difficulty, and I'd be grateful for any suggestions: the first two have me entirely stumped, both about 9mm long; the third looks highly familiar, but I just can't track it down in the Bible.

Unknown micro, 16/6/21

Unknown micro 2, 16/6/21

Unknown micro 3, 16/6/21
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    The three macros are all correct, Shoulder-striped Wainscot, Light Brocade and Freyer's Pug. The first of the micros is a Bactra species and probably Bactra lancealana but I can't be sure in this case, the second I'd suggest might be a rather worn Rhyacionia pinivorana but that isn't much more than a guess, while the third is Scythropia crataegella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Dave -- good to hear on the macros. Bactra lancealana was, now I think of it, quite common in the garden last year, so seems a good candidate. And Scythropia is, I think, a perennial blind spot of mine: I seem to just overlook it on the page it's on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.