Wednesday 2 June 2021

Improved numbers and a pug query - Longwick Bucks

 

Last night was an improvement on recent weeks ( although hardly jumping!) with Scalloped Oak a first for the year and Toadflax Brocade a site first - it has taken it a long time to get here! I also had my first Privet Hawk of the year.


The pug above confused me - perhaps because unlike the others it is strikingly fresh. It has a wing span of around 20mm and a striking black band on the abdomen. I was wondering about a fresh Brindled Pug but was unsure. I still have it but as it was flighty took a record shot just in case!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, I suggest a Dwarf Pug (Brindled has smaller elongate discal spot, a sharply angled post-median line and 'arrowheads' on that line) - while this has a large rounded discal spot and a rather undulating post-median line, with a pale region beyond the discal spot and a dark bar across the abdomen. Check it out at e.g. https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/162-eupithecia-tantillaria-dwarf-pug.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that's a well-marked Dwarf Pug. Thanks for taking on Pug IDs, John!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.