Sunday 20 June 2021

Meadow Moths




As an antidote to peering into egg boxes, I had a walk around a very plant-rich meadow in West Oxon yesterday. I flushed a lot of moths (and it was no surprise that there were up to 20 Swallows hawking over the grass). Lots of Hedya pruniana, Celypha lacunana, Chrysoteuchia culmella, Anthophila fabriciana, and several individuals I failed to follow up and identify.  Also among them, the above which I think are;  Cochylimorpha straminea, (top) and Wood Carpet (bottom). The middle moth I'm really struggling with, but Scrobipalpa acuminatella seemed a possibility. Any ID help would be appreciated....


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nic,
    Cochylimorpha straminea is certainly correct and the other two definitely look the part to me too. However I'd wait for Martin T to give you the nod on the Carpet because my couple of attempts to claim Wood Carpet in the past have been declined by the experts and it seems that it can't be separated from Common Carpet by dissecton!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.