Tuesday 15 June 2021

Orange-tailed Clearwing

 Anyone know if there been many records in the Oxford region for Orange-tailed Clearwing? I had one a couple of hours ago to the AND pheromone lure. Unfortunately I botched the capture for a photo but I did get to see the orange and black "sporran" and the light central band before it headed off, apparently not to return, unlike the red belted yesterday that were still turning up as I tried to get the first couple out of the trap and then one spent a fair amount of time sitting on my tea mug. I'll continue running the lure but I suspect it won't return. I'll be trying that lure again tomorrow.

In other news I had my first Large Yellow Underwing on 12th June and first Uncertain/ Rustics today. 

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,
    All clearwing species are under-recorded but the widespread use of pheromone lures over the last decade or two is improving the situation and many of them probably no longer warrant their nationally scarce status. It seems to me that in our area Currant, Orange-tailed, Red-belted, Red-tipped and (to a lesser extent) Yellow-legged are quite likely to turn up in anyone's garden, while for White-barred, Sallow and Six-belted you probably need to go to the correct habitat but they can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, really helpful. I think I have most of the lures for the commoner ones apart from Red-tipped. Maybe that's one to go for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far this year I've had Currant (today, as it happens) and Red-tipped in the garden and I'll fully expect to get Orange-tailed and Red-belted at some stage, but it does take a bit of perseverance!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.