Friday 18 June 2021

Spinach

Wednesday night produced by far the best catch of 2021 in my Didcot garden, with nearly 90 species. Best moth of the night was a lovely fresh Spinach, a moth that despite being regarded as common and widespread I don't ever see, and am not entirely sure I have ever seen - if i have it was a long, long time ago. It is a species that appears to have suffered an enormous decline in recent decades (>90% on monitored sites in the Rothamsted light trap network) so I was very happy to see it. Marc Botham, Didcot
.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marc,
    Very nice indeed! Another common species that seems to have joined the likes of Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, Dark Marbled Carpet & Triple-spotted Clay etc in disappearing almost completely from our area. I last saw Spinach in Bucks back in 2013 (in the reed-bed at Weston Turville reservoir) and haven't had it in the garden since 2007.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.