Friday 25 June 2021

[Edit] Striped Lychnis and Twin-barred Knot-horn (Homoeosoma sinuella) - Walter's Ash

Now the nights have warmed up a bit, I've had the trap out a few times in my garden in Walter's Ash, Bucks over the last 10 days.  A couple of interesting things last night.

First was what I believe to be Striped Lychnis, underside of hindwing with only a very feint spot.  This is my 7th record of this species to light.


 

Also was this pyralid (forewing 11mm), which initially confused me and what I vainly hoped might be female Synaphe punctalis. Thankfully, the VC24 county moth recorders (Martin Albertini and Dave Wilton) both rushed to my rescue and pointed out my error.  This is the Twin-barred Knot-horn (Homoeosoma sinuella), a moth I have seen a few times before, but a new record for my garden.



 Apologies for poor quality photos, taken in pot, did not want to risk it escaping.  

Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash

2 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,
    Always nice to get Striped Lychnis! However, your other moth is unfortunately nothing special. It is Homoeosoma sinuella which seems to have become a very common species locally over the past decade (I rarely saw it before that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Dave, I've no idea how I missed that, I've seen Homoeosoma sinuella a few times before, but it is new for the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.