Wednesday 9 June 2021

Whiskery types

May I submit these longhorns for ID please?  I know that there is only a small choice in the Micro Bible but I can't nail either of them confidently.  I was also interested by these contrasting Pale Tussock males which were both in the eggboxes this morning (along with a light Peppered moth, whose variations have always attracted so much attention).  I didn't know that the PT was slightly similar in this way.  It's also great to have lots of beautifully pristine Alder moths around at the moment, and much else. Thanks v much in advance  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon


2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,
    Your long-horn micros are in fact caddis flies (most probably Mystacides longicornis although not too clear from your pictures). I'm getting hundreds of them per night in and around the trap at present - good to see that something is having a good year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Dave, as ever. Silly me. At least they were longhorns, albeit not mothy ones. I've had the consolation this morning of Pine and Privet hawk moths, so I now need only a passing Hummingbird H to complete my exciting new tally of nine species. Great to read just now on the next post about the Otmoor Narrow-bordered Bee Hawks All warmest M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.