Wednesday 1 July 2020

Guessing at micros again - plus another reason to be out at night


Batia lunaris

May I ask for confirmation, or otherwise, of these micros which have visited me during the last week. I've put my best shot in the captions.

Male Ringed China-mark, Parapoynx stratiotata

Scoparia ambigualis (suggested by a friend) 
 
Pammene aurana

 Is this a Tortrix seen from the side? It looks so distinctive but I cannot nail it

On a different subject - and I hope not straying too much - we had a speculative glowworm hunt last week at 11pm and within 20 minutes found four startlingly bright females. We'd not seen or heard of them here before but a friend in Shipton-on-Cherwell found some there, so we read the fantastic website glowworms.org.uk, followed their advice and hit gold. Much recommended!  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon


3 comments:

  1. Hello Martin,

    Batia lunaris, Ringed China-mark and Pammene aurana are all correct, while the other is Celypha striana. It is always nice to see glow-worms. I found a couple of glowing females in a wood on the edge of Milton Keynes while trapping there a week or so ago and the constant stream of passers-by during the early part of the night were more intrigued by them than they were by the moths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed out the Scoparid - that is such a worn moth that I think it is one to forget altogether!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.