Sunday 26 July 2020

Three new micros, one less welcome than the others ...

Over the last couple of weeks my garden trap in Great Kimble has produced three micro-moths that are new species for me. Anarsia innoxiella has featured many times on this blog before.






The tiny Bucculatrix cristatella feeds on Yarrow so has no shortage of habitat, but is apparently rarely seen as an adult. This is the first time I've seen it, or at least the first time I've noticed it - it really is very small!



And at the other extreme for size, the very large micro Box-tree Moth Cydalima perspectalis has now made its way here. I don't have any Box growing in my garden, but this is likely to be seen as bad news by my neighbours who do grow it, and also raises concerns for the apparently native Box woodland on the nearby Chiltern hills.









1 comment:

  1. I had my first Cydalima perspectalis in October 2017, there were 26 in the trap on Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.