Thursday 16 July 2020

Moth attracted to LUN pheromone

I ordered the new LUN pheromone earlier this week, which arrived yesterday, so I thought I would try it out in the garden this afternoon, even though the weather and habitat weren't ideal.  I left the trap up for an hour or so over lunch and when I checked it, there were no clearwings, but a small micro, c4mm long, so not really tiny.  It was very active, so I cooled it in the fridge to try and get a record shot.  I struggled to even place it in a family.

I would welcome comments, in case I am missing something obvious, but I think it resembles Triaxomasia caprimulgella. One to retain I think.

Edit: of interest, I have just heard that T. caprimulgella was also attracted to the LUN lure in Devon last week, so this is a potential bycatch. Worth trying in local woodland maybe.


Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam,

    I think you could well be correct with caprimulgella. There are only two records for Bucks (both from the Burnham Beeches RIS trap) so certainly one to retain for Peter!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.