Sunday 26 July 2020

Bat in the trap


The moths have been good lately and apparently I am not the only one aware of this. On Friday morning I found the visitor shown above tucked neatly in one of the eggboxes, presumably having chased its prey all the way in.  Luckily it hadn't had any more courses, judging by the number of moths snoozing alongside. A friend of a friend, who is nick-named 'Batwoman', says that it looks like a Pipistrelle but I'm sending the pics to the Oxfordshire Bat Group anyway. In 15 years of running an MV light, this is a first for me and it got me Googling all sorts of interesting things about bats and light.

Separately, along with the Black Arches, Scarce Silver-lines, Small Emerald, Marbled Green and Marbled Beauty shown below, there was what looks to me like a smart Chestnut. But if so, it is surely out of season.  All best and thanks as ever for help.  PS Very exciting to see a Clifden Nonpareil caterpillar - thanks!  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon





3 comments:

  1. Try Least Yellow Underwing Martin. I've never even heard of a bat roosting inside a trap - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Reminds me of this http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/amigo/2017/06/17/puffin-in-the-moth-trap/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting me on track, Martin, and for that wonderful blog post, Peter. I love their style and the pic of the anxious looking puffin peeping out.. No doubt there's a book to be written about Unexpected Visitors to Moth Traps. All vb M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.