Friday 17 July 2020

Lunar Hornet Moth

My new Lunar Hornet Moth lure arrived by post at 10,50am today from ALS. I opened it immediately in the conservatory, put into a trap and hung it out at the bottom of the garden. I then returned to the house to see a large insect flying around the conservatory at 10.55am, which I caught and photographed. I guess that a large plume of the pheromone was released into the room as I first opened the bag!


I released it 100yds away but the same moth turned up in the trap after 5mins so I put it away. I've been trying the SAL lure here in Beenham Berks over the last month but with no luck so far.

Edit:
Sorry - also meant to say that I have had Red-belted to the SAL lure twice so far. So there is some weak cross-attraction.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Derek,

    Good to see yet more records flowing in for this fairly widespread species. The pheromone has certainly made a BIG difference!

    By the way, I gave your post a title and I've added your "edit" to the original. For everyone's benefit, don't forget that you can always go back and amend your own posts by clicking on the little yellow pencil icon at the bottom which takes you back to the composition page.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.