Tuesday 14 July 2020

Hole spotting in Langley


Now things are slowly returning  to some semblance of normality,  I am back into the Langley office a couple of days a week. So lunchtime rambles in Bucks are back on the menu.
Today I explored a stand of mature poplars located behind the Langley recycling centre. I stuck a Lure out for Hornet Clearwing for about half an hour  without success . However, I did look at the trunks of some of the more accessible trees and found numerous  holes which i believe is this species.
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks good for Hornet Moth to me, Rob, and worth recording even though we don't know how old they are. If you look at more poplar trunks it is worth keeping an eye out for empty pupal cases sticking out of these holes (they can sit like that for several weeks), or on the ground at the tree base, which would at least indicate a record for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do look out for that, but it's bad enough not having had a haircut since January let alone dragging myself through a hedge as well! These weren't the most accessible trunks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.