Wednesday 29 July 2020

A few queries from last night

Firstly a couple of Micros I'm not sure about.

I think this maybe Cochylis atricapitana. L=8mm.


Next is this Metriotes lutarea? L=7mm. According to the book it is the wrong flight season. Late Apr to Ear June !!.


Now a couple of Macros.

I think this a Turnip Moth, but the Dart appears to be missing. L=18mm.


Now here are two that always cause me the most confusion and sleepless nights. Are they Uncertain or Rustic. The first one has a rather grubby hindwing, but the second one was much more whitish.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Tony, I agree with C. atricapitana. I don't think you have Metriotes (now Coleophora) lutarea, it looks more like one of the other greenish Coleophora species.

    I think Turnip is okay - the hindwing colour is a useful additional pointer for that one.

    I'm not at all sure about the first Hoplodrina, which may have to remain as an aggregate unless anyone else feels confident of it.

    I think the second Hoplodrina looks more like Vine's Rustic, which has a paler hindwing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Before releasing the lutarea last night it did look as though it was a metallic golden green with black antenna and whitish tips. I'm now leaning towards C.trifolii. I think I will record the Hoplodrinas as Uncertain or Rustic aggs. The Vine Rustics I have seen here before always seem much more paler grey. Thanks again for your help.

      Delete
  2. Those both look very much like Rustic to me. The second brood of Vines is just starting. I had two last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to go with Martin T's suggestion for the two Rustics, I wasn't feeling very confident of my suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.