Wednesday 29 July 2020

Stigmella crataegella?

Following the call to arms from Dave, I had a look at some of the hawthorns in the garden. I found the attached which still has a green larva in the leaf, though the leaf itself is missing a tip so it seems to be running out of space. The frass doesn't seem coiled like Dave's photo.

I still find leaf mines a bit of a minefield (so to speak) - is this Stigmella crataegella?


Edit - I had another look and found the example below, which I think must be S. crataegella as it looks very close to Dave's example.



Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,

    Yes, both are indeed crataegella, thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave and thanks for pointing out what to look for.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.