Friday 17 July 2020

Sallow Clearwing in Cookham

Like Adam in Marlow Bottom, I have been trying out the new LUN lure in my garden, so far without any success. As well as the LUN lure, I have also just purchased the SAL lure and tried it out for the first time this afternoon. When I glanced at the pheromone trap about 30 minutes after putting it out, I saw this clearwing flying around inside and quickly potted it up.

Sallow Clearwing - Cookham 17-Jul-20

It certainly looks to me like a Sallow Clearwing, but confirmation is always welcome.
Having had its picture taken, it has now been released.

Steve Trigg, Cookham


4 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,

    Yes, that's Sallow Clearwing. A very nice record!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put out the Sal lure also, in Longwick. Got very excited when a clearwing appeared - only for it to be a Red Belted !

    Nothing to the LUN lure for me either. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, on the 12th the same happened to me. The SAL lure was placed out in the garden for a couple of hours late morning and the only arrival to it was a Red-belted Clearwing. That's actually the only occasion I've ever had the "wrong" species to a lure, although I know it does happen occasionally.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.