Wednesday 15 July 2020

July doldrums

As others have observed, July has been pretty disappointing so far, here in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, as much as anywhere else. There have been a few highlights, such as the arrival of the first Silver Ys, but catches have been small; I've some hope of improvements in the next week or so.

A few puzzles below, at least one of which I strongly suspect is a species I know perfectly well, but am simply failing to recognise; as ever, any suggestions will be very gratefully received! The first has a slight feel of Nomophila noctuella, but at 8-9mm looks too small; the second might, I guess, be a faded Large Twin-spot Carpet; and the third is something like Spilonota ocellana, but doesn't look quite right - it's about 6mm.

Unknown micro, 12/7/20

Possible Large Twin-spot Carpet, 13/7/20

Unknown micro, 14/7/20
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,

    I suspect the first is the very common Bryotropha terrella, I think you are probably correct with a very faded Large Twin-spot Carpet for the second, while the third is Gypsonoma dealbana.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.