Friday 31 July 2020

A couple from last night

Some signs of improvement from a generally undistinguished July here in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, with a fairly respectable catch last night (if temperatures and cloud cover are as promised tonight, I'm hoping for something good then). Here are a couple of macros I can't quite decide on: the first, from several angles, looks quite good for August Thorn, though I'm not too happy about the angle of its wings at rest; the second I was quite optimistic on for Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, but looking at the photo, I'm now inclining towards Red Twin-spot. Grateful, as ever, for any thoughts.

Possible August Thorn, 30/7/20

Possible August Thorn, 30/7/20

Possible August Thorn, 30/7/20

Carpet species, but which? 30/7/20
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,

    September Thorn and Red Twin-spot Carpet for me. I think you'll find that Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet is now so rare in our three counties that if you were looking to claim it you'd need to retain the moth for your CMR. At the very least it would need decent shots of both the upper and underside.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.