Friday 31 July 2020

It only takes one moth

Considering the ideal weather conditions I was expecting more, but it turned out to be yet another mediocre garden catch last night.  However, as I came towards the end of inspecting the egg-boxes in the actinic trap I could see this face peeking around the corner at me...



...so all was not lost after all.  The moth turned out to be a little the worse for wear with one wing-tip damaged but, all the same, a Silver-striped Hawk-moth in any state is more than welcome here!  A migrant species from southern Europe, it is rarely seen this far inland.  This is only the third record for Bucks but is also the second example I've had in the garden after one in July 2015.  It must be someone else's turn next!

Silver-striped Hawk-moth, Westcott 30th July

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

4 comments:

  1. Crikey, well done Dave! Great reward for all the hours you put in trapping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Dave. I was surprised at how poor last night was - not a sniff of a migrant and very low numbers of macros.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.