Friday 26 June 2020

August Thorn and 2 micros for checking

In my garden trap on Wednesday 24th June I found this thorn which looks to me like August Thorn. Would 24th June be a particularly early record for this moth?

August Thorn - Cookham 24-Jun-20

I am also posting 2 micros for confirmation of my ids. The first I am pretty sure is Eucosma cana.

Eucosma cana - Cookham 24-Jun-20

The second I think is Endothenia marginana, but I always find this group a bit tricky.

Endothenia sp. - Cookham 24-Jun-20

Steve Trigg, Cookham

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, I usually start getting August Thorn at the beginning on July, 30th June is my earliest here, 4 in 2017, so slightly early maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, early but not too surprising with the weather. I know of two others over the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of the micros, the first is indeed Eucosma cana but it is difficult to be sure about the Endothenia. It could well be marginana but size and hind-wing colour are quite important in separating those three confusing species. Probably one best kept back for dissection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. My previous earliest record for August Thorn was 9th July in 2018.
    I have taken your advice Dave, and retained the Endothenia.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.